For Immediate Release
Contact: Chamber Office
Click Here to Purchase Tickets to the Business and Citizen of the Year Dinner on Feb 3rd, 2023.
ALTADENA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE NAMES 2022 CITIZEN AND BUSINESS OF THE YEAR
Altadena, CA – December 11th, 2022
A volunteer with a focus on ensuring the sustainability of Altadena’s only Community Garden and a local Ale House showcasing both tasty food and libations were named as Citizen and Business of the Year for 2022 by the Altadena Chamber of Commerce and Civic Association.
Citizen of the Year recipient Silvera Grant has been the Altadena Community Garden’s “guardian” for over a decade. As President of the Altadena Community Garden, Silvera has volunteered over 4,000 hours of his time to make the gardens and our community both stronger and healthier. This year Mr. Grant received the U.S. President’s “Lifetime Achievement Award” for Volunteerism from President Biden.
Business of the Year recipient is the Altadena Ale & Wine House, Gail & Judah Casburn, Proprietors. The Altadena Ale and Wine House exemplifies the spirit of Altadena as a place where you can enjoy intellectual conversation and the sense of community as well as camaraderie that defines the best traditions of a neighborhood watering hole. During the COVID pandemic they jumped in to distribute meal kits twice a week to ex-and current workers in the restaurant industry who had fallen on hard times.
Both recipients will be honored at the Chamber’s Annual Awards and Installation Dinner in early 2023.
History of the Citizen of the Year Award: The first Outstanding Citizen Award was given by the Altadena Chamber of Commerce in honor of the late Mr. W.B. Taylor, veteran newspaper reporter for the Pasadena Star News. Since 1945, the award has been given annually in recognition of faithful, untiring interest and service in community activities. Recipient must be available to attend the Installation & Awards Dinner in early 2023.
Criteria and committee guidelines:
Adopted by the Altadena Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors November 7, 2006
- Citizen of the Year candidate must be a resident of Altadena.
- Has contributed substantially to the betterment of the community through the years and been involved in the community through volunteer efforts.
- Is of good character.
- Individuals who are employed in a public service position in Altadena (i.e. Clergy, Law Enforcement, Public Relations, Politics, etc) must demonstrate community involvement above and beyond the scope of their paid position.
- Individuals serving on the Altadena Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors are ineligible
The Committee: Immediate past Citizen of the Year and a representative from each of the following organizations: Altadena Chamber of Commerce, Altadena Heritage, Altadena Historical Society, Altadena Foothills Conservancy, Altadena Branch of NAACP, Altadena Sheriff Support Group, Quality of Life Center and Altadena Town Council. The committee chair shall be appointed by the Altadena Chamber of Commerce President and the chair must be a Chamber Director.
Business of the Year
– Has contributed substantially to the betterment of the business community through volunteer efforts. – Promotes other businesses in Altadena along with their own.
– Member of the Altadena Chamber in good standing.
– Businesses associated with Altadena Chamber Board members are not eligible.
– Business owner must be available to attend the Installation & Awards Dinner in early 2023.