History of the Citizen of the Year Award: The first Outstanding Citizen Award was given by the Altadena Chamber of Commerce in honor of the late Mr. W.B. Taylor, veteran newspaper reporter for the Pasadena Star News. Since 1945, the award has been given annually in recognition of faithful, untiring interest and service in community activities. Recipient must be available to attend the Installation & Awards Dinner in early 2023.
Criteria and committee guidelines:
Adopted by the Altadena Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors November 7, 2006
- Citizen of the Year candidate must be a resident of Altadena.
- Has contributed substantially to the betterment of the community through the years and been involved in the community through volunteer efforts.
- Is of good character.
- Individuals who are employed in a public service position in Altadena (i.e. Clergy, Law Enforcement, Public Relations, Politics, etc) must demonstrate community involvement above and beyond the scope of their paid position.
- Individuals serving on the Altadena Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors are ineligible
The Committee: Immediate past Citizen of the Year and a representative from each of the following organizations: Altadena Chamber of Commerce, Altadena Heritage, Altadena Historical Society, Altadena Foothills Conservancy, Altadena Branch of NAACP, Altadena Sheriff Support Group, Quality of Life Center and Altadena Town Council. The committee chair shall be appointed by the Altadena Chamber of Commerce President and the chair must be a Chamber Director.
Business of the Year
– Has contributed substantially to the betterment of the business community through volunteer efforts. – Promotes other businesses in Altadena along with their own.
– Member of the Altadena Chamber in good standing.
– Businesses associated with Altadena Chamber Board members are not eligible.
– Business owner must be available to attend the Installation & Awards Dinner in early 2023.